SBI Clerk Mains Exam: Major Changes, Job Profile, and Time Management Tips
SBI (State Bank of India) Prelim exam was conducted in the third week of July. The results are expected to be released to be soon. So, it’s time for the aspirants who expect to get qualified for the mains exam to hit the books. SBI has released more than 8000 vacancies for the post of Junior Associates – customer support and sales under SBI Clerk exam.
As per the official schedule, mains exam will be held on 5th August. Also, admit cards for the mains exam will be available soon.
At any bank, the first point of contact for any customer to address his inquiries and to provide guidance is always a Bank Clerk.
SBI Clerk Mains Exam Pattern
It’s advised to the aspirants to go through the exam pattern before starting exam preparation.
The selection procedure of SBI Clerk Recruitment 2018 consists of 3 different stages:
- Preliminary Exam
- Main Exam
- Test of Official and/or Local Language
SBI Clerk Mains Exam will be an online objective test consisting of 190 questions and is of 2 hours 40 minutes. Detailed information on the different sections of SBI Clerk Mains Exam are provided below.
|Section Name||No of Qs||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|General/Financial Awareness||50||50||35 mins|
|General Language||40||40||35 mins|
|Quantitative Aptitude||50||50||45 mins|
|Reasoning Ability and Computer Awareness||50||60||45 mins|
|Total||190||200||2 hours 40 mins|
Final merit list will be prepared based on the marks obtained in the SBI Clerk Main exam.
The marks obtained in prelims exam will not be added towards the final selection. Merit List will be drawn state wise & category wise.
Changes in the SBI Clerk Exam
Here are some of the important SBI Clerk exam details as compared to the previous years.
|Sr #||Exam Aspect||2016||2018|
|1||Post||SBI Clerk recruitment was released for two posts – Junior Associates and Junior Agriculture Associates||SBI Clerk recruitment is released only for one posts – Junior Associates|
|2||No of vacancies||10,726||8,301 (7200 new vacancies + 1101 backlog vacancies)|
for Widows, Divorced women, and women judicially separated from their husbands & who are not remarried
(Subject to the maximum age limit of 40 years -SC/ST, 38 years -OBC & candidates, 35 years – General)
|9 years||7 years|
|4||Sectional Timing||No sectional timing. Composite timing||Sectional timing is introduced|
SBI Clerk Mains Time Management:
- Make a perfect study plan
- Structure your preparation well and set a time to study each topic.
- List the topics you need to cover and set a time-table for them.
- Set goals for each day and prioritize them.
- Be consistent
- Practice is very important for any exam. Attempt Online Mock Tests. This will give you an idea of your strong points and weak points and you can work on them accordingly.
- Solve more and more practice questions. This will also help you increase your speed.
- Keep a tab on the time limit
- You need to adhere to the time-limit while practicing. This will help you to stay within the time-limit in the actual exam.
- Solve the ones you find easy first. Skip the questions you are not able to solve and come back to them later.
- Say bye bye to distractions
- Distractions are only a waste of your precious time.
- During the exam, stay confident and focused.
Must know things about SBI Clerk Mains Exam
- All questions in the objective tests in the SBI Clerk Mains exam, except for General English paper, will be bilingual in English & Hindi. This means that you will be able to select which language you are more comfortable taking the exam in. Some questions might be easier to attempt in Hindi while others in English. Use this to your advantage.
- There will be negative marks for wrong answers in the Mains exam. 1/4th of the marks assigned to the question will be deducted if you give the wrong answer.
- Each section will have separate timing as mentioned above. So time management will have to be done at the individual section level. This, however, removes the crucial element of “How much time to spend on a section?” The fixed time allotted to the section also means that you cannot switch to any other section, and you will need to appear for the paper in the order in which the sections are presented to you.
- If time for a particular section gets over, you cannot attempt it later. Suppose you are attempting General English section and have completed the section within 20 minutes. You won’t be permitted to move to another section until the timer for English section runs out.
- There is no Descriptive Test for SBI Clerk.
- If you have studied the official (local) language or local level at 10th level and have proof as a certificate, you will not be subject to an additional Language Test. If not so, you will be required to take a language test which will be conducted after provisional selection but before joining.
SBI Clerk Job Profile during Probation
- After appointment as Junior Associates, you will be on probation for a minimum period of 6 months. 15 prescribed e-lessons will be required to be completed by you during the probation. You will need to do this to confirm your employment at the bank.
- The 15 prescribed e-lessons will include role-based e-lessons, which means while on probation, you will be taught about your Job Profile at SBI, functions, duties, responsibilities and more.
- If you fail in your work, your probation will be extended till completion of the same. Further, before the probation period comes to an end, your performance will be evaluated. Probation period may be extended further, if your performance fails to meet the Bank’s expectations.
SBI Clerk Job Profile of Junior Associate
- Your main responsibility as Associate is to deal with customers and their inquiries. Talking to customers, resolving their doubts and giving them the right guidance will be your primary responsibility.
- You will need to handle all activities at the deposit counters and related to cash withdrawal. Sometimes, you have to work as cashiers or single window operators. Also, you need to be comfortable while dealing with financial instruments like cheques, demand drafts, etc.
- You will be responsible for the accounts of the customer by verifying and signing pertinent documents, countersigning and clearing cheques and drafts.
- Your, SBI Clerk Associate Job Profile includes working on documentation and back-office work like ledger maintenance, balance tallying, data entry and more.
- The SBI Junior Associate Job Profile also entails marketing financial products of the bank such as loans, schemes, deposits, funds, to potential customers etc.
- You will also need to scrutinize applications and plans to ensure completeness, authenticity and viability. That is, you need to ensure that the applications are correct and true.
- Making customer calls for selling banking services, advisory services, and cross-selling products of the bank inside and outside the bank premises. This may require extensive outdoor traveling. This will be the “Sales” aspect of your Junior Associate Job Profile.
Good luck for your exams!